Instagram still remains as one of the most popular social networking apps in the world, which is why its users can be targeted by hackers. The large number of users makes it an attractive target. In this article, we will discuss how to prevent from getting hacked and how to get your account back if your Instagram got hacked and your recovery email has been changed.
How can an Instagram account get hacked?
When you register for Instagram, you do so with a username and a password. From there, you must confirm your account by email. If you don’t enter the correct email address at registration, it’s difficult to set up because you’ll need the right email in order to continue. Once you know the email address, it’s as good as yours!
The account is created and can be used with a user name, password, and email address. If you also have a phone number associated with your Instagram account (which you have to request) then hackers can get even more information about you. They can use that phone number to locate your actual location, or even track your GPS location on a smartphone if they have access to the phone. Some people have both a home and a work phone, which is more than enough information for hackers looking to hack an Instagram account.
Once they have the email and phone number they can use these to verify their identity and login to your account. If you have not set up two-factor authentication, then all that is needed is the username, password, email address and phone number. If you are using two-factor authentication then this adds another layer of security but it still isn’t impossible to hack an Instagram account if it’s important enough.
How to keep your Instagram account safe?
There are many ways to keep your Instagram account secure. This is actually one of the reasons there are so many methods that hackers use. There are always new ways to hack an Instagram account, but there are also new ways to protect it! The best way to protect yourself is probably by using two-factor authentication (2FA). This is a process where you verify access to your account by using a 2FA-enabled login code that is sent to you via text message. This means that even if someone knows your username, password, email address and knows your phone number then they’ll still not be able to get access to the account. Unless they know the 2FA code, they won’t gain access.
The second way to protect your Instagram account is by setting up a unique username. Instead of using your name or something that’s easy to guess, use a username that is not so simple. Also don’t use any information in your username that gives away who you really are. An example of this is using your last name or initials in the username. By following these tips and by using a robust 2FA code you can help to keep your Instagram account safe!
Hackers and their methods for accessing an account
- Fake login screens – This is one of the most popular methods that hackers use when hacking an Instagram account. Hackers set up fake login screens that look authentic. The hacker then uses this to bait unsuspecting users into entering their username and password. The real login screen that is posted on Instagram will look a little different than the one in your email inbox.
- Phishing – Phishing is a widely used method of hacking an account, even though it’s not necessarily the same as hacking an Instagram account. Phishing is where a hacker sends you an email that looks like it’s from a legitimate source but it isn’t. These fake emails usually claim to be from Instagram and they ask you to login to your account. The emails that they send also include a link that directs you back to their site and not Instagram’s.
- Malware – This method isn’t necessarily used by hackers trying to hack an Instagram account, but it is used in order to gain access to your account. Malware is malicious software that you download onto your computer that can be used to gain access to information on your device.
- Computer viruses – Computer viruses are similar to software, but instead of being stored on a machine, the virus is stored on a file that is downloaded or saved onto your device. This is one of the most popular methods for hacking an Instagram account alongside phishing emails.
- Social engineering – This method is using manipulation or deception in order to get what you want. Phishing emails are very popular in this method because they are able to trick users into giving away information to hackers, and especially their personal information. These hacked Instagram accounts can then be used in phishing emails, social engineering, and other methods that hackers use in order to access an account.
- Malvertising – This is another form of hacking an Instagram account, but it’s slightly different. Malvertising is a method of hacking that uses advertisements on websites to steal personal information of web users.
The best ways to prevent your Instagram account from being hacked
One of the best methods for protecting your Instagram account is to use a two-factor authentication (2FA) code. This is the act of using a combination of something that you know and something else that can’t be easily hacked, like an upcoming phone call or text message. It’s especially important for Instagram users because if your password has been hacked, you’ll still be able to get access to your account.
When you log into an account using 2FA, Instagram will send a text message or a call to your phone. This is called verifying that it’s really you trying to login and that you’re not just some hacker pretending to be you. It’s important to keep up with 2FA because if your phone number is compromised then someone can still access your account by using the two-factor authentication code.
How do you set up 2FA on Instagram?
In order to set up 2FA on Instagram you need to have an active phone number! If you don’t have a phone number, then register for one with a reliable cell phone carrier. Once you have an active phone number, sign into the Instagram app and log in to your profile. Click on the three bars found in the top right-hand corner of the screen, then click on “Settings.” Now scroll down to the bottom of your settings and you’ll see two icons for 2FA. Click on them both and follow the setup process. After you’ve set everything up, Instagram will send you a verification code to your phone number.
How to recover a hacked Instagram account
If only the password has been changed
If your Instagram account has been hacked, you could try to regain access by resetting your password. If the perpetrator did not change the recovery email or the recovery SMS, then you might be in luck.
If the password and the email have been changed
The most difficult scenario for recovering your hacked Instagram account is If the hacker changed your recovery email address, number or set up a 2 factor authentication. This presents a particular challenge, because every recovery email that you request, will go to hacker’s email address or the 2FA app.
Here is how to recover your Instagram account if the email has been changed:
- Go to your Instagram app
- On the login screen, tap on Get help logging in (on Android) or Forgot password (on iPhone)
- Enter the username (or the email address) associated with the account, then tap Next
- Then tap on I need help logging in
- Then tap My account has been hacked
You will be prompted to take a video selfie of you while turning your head in different directions. Instagram will run a human review of your face, compare it to your feed photos and if identified that it is indeed you, you will you will receive an email providing you access to your account.
Sign up now for EZBiolink to start turning your social media followers into paying customers.